FYI
This is a good summary about the dangers of virus scanning software
automatically warning "senders" of infected messages.  I emailed a
suggestion yesterday to two MSU sites that are doing this (Radiology and
HR). Hopefully they are reconsidering.

Also, last week I sent a message to our users trying to explain what was
happening. If anyone wants a copy of that, let me know. Or if anyone has
other resources that explain Klez to a non-technical person, please let me
know.

-jav

>Mailing-List: contact [log in to unmask]; run by ezmlm
>Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 09:13:10 -0400
>From: Joseph Brennan <[log in to unmask]>
>To: unisog <[log in to unmask]>
>cc: Postmaster <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: [unisog] The danger of Klez warnings
>

>We have found ourselves in the position of changing users' addresses
>because of Klez virus warnings.  Not Klez-- we can identify and reject
>that-- but Klez warnings.
>
>We have two users whose addresses are being faked into the From line
>of Klez mail at an astounding rate.  For each, we see 94,000 attempts
>per day to relay through smtp.columbia.edu.  All are rejected.  Evidently
>there are additional instances that are relayed through other systems
>successfully and trigger warnings or accusations from antivirus software.
>One of the users now reports getting dozens of warnings per day with
>no end in sight.  This will be the second one who needs a new address,
>with all the notifying to friends and associates that is involved.
>It's not the Klez-- it's the warnings.
>
>Any virus software that can spot Klez should also avoid sending useless
>mail to the faked envelope From.  Most of the bogus warnings do not even
>include the original headers, so we cannot even re-send them to the
>actual source of the virus.  They are just totally without value.  In
>fact they're worse than no value.  They cause needless worry and needless
>calls to helpdesk.  A meta-virus, you might say.
>
>We are now filtering out one of the warnings, for Declude, because it's
>been reported so many times.  We may need to add more, but with every
>one using different text, it does not seem practical.
>
>You all might want to check what your system does when it gets a Klez
>message.  Please.
>
>Joseph Brennan                           [log in to unmask]
>Academic Technologies Group, Academic Information Systems (AcIS)

* John Valenti Systems Analyst, Labor & Industrial Relations *
* 408 S Kedzie Hall, Michigan State University, E. Lansing, MI 48824 *
* (517) 353-1807 fax (517) 355-7656 [log in to unmask] *