From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lara Juliusson
Sent: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 6:51 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ECOLOG-L] GIS Analyst
Please see the job announcement below. This position supports habitat and
wildlife spatial analyses. For additional information, please contact Bob
E-mail: [log in to unmask] (Preferred)
Lara Juliusson, Geography/Ecology, MA/BA
Project Manager, Wildlife Habitat Spatial Analysis Lab
Onsite at the BLM from Harris ITS
Division of Resource Services
Job Number: 21167 (Classification: GIS & Computing)
Title: GIS ANALYST
Location: Lakewood, CO
* Working knowledge of ArcInfo workstation, including Arc, GRID, Tables,
ArcEdit (or ArcTools). Thorough understanding and practical application of
the ArcInfo coverage model. Fully capable of constructing coverages and
grids and applying attribution as needed, projecting and defining
projections, and editing spatial and tabular data, as well as editing
metadata to keep it current and complete.
* Able to create functional GIS models using both raster and vector data,
establish complex relational database joins and queries using both ArcInfo
Tables and ArcGIS geodatabase. Able to conceptualize and perform complex
overlay queries to derive new data from existing data sets. Competent at
constructing Microsoft Access relational databases.
* Working knowledge of ArcGIS desktop applications including ArcMap,
ArcCatalog, ArcToolbox. Understanding of both shapefile and geodatabase
models. Capable of producing professional quality maps and tabular outputs
for presentations. Experience with Spatial Analyst.
* Working knowledge of entire Microsoft Office suite.
* Four-year undergraduate degree, preferably in geography, earth
science,ecology, biology, or computer science.
* Able to write Python or VB scripts.
* Experienced GPS operator.
* Experience with both scanning/on-screen and tablet digitizing. Knowledge
of rectification techniques.
* Experience working with vegetation and/or wildlife datasets on ecoregional
* Internet experience, especially downloading large datasets.
* Able to work as a part of a dynamic team in a lab environment with
occasional field trips to BLM field or conferences/workshops
Last Date to apply: February 28, 2010
Contact: Bob Shrager
E-mail: [log in to unmask](Preferred)