MSUNAG Archives

Subject: SSL VPN upgrade coming: do you require early access to client?
From: Ken Josenhans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 27 Feb 2009 10:49:27 -0500

ATS Network Management is planning to upgrade the SSL VPN code.
This change is tentatively scheduled for Thursday March 19, 2009.

This upgrade will require all SSL VPN users to have a matching upgrade
on their PC.  Users will need to log in as Administrator (presuming
Windows) and then the client will automatically download and install
when the user connects to http://vpn.msu.edu.

Some MSUNAG list members had problems in the last upgrade with
imaged machines, or with users who don't have Administrator privileges,
because their upgrade work could not start until ATS upgraded the
server.  For these network admins, we can now offer early access
to the new SSL VPN client code.

Access could be in one of two ways:

1)  I could mail you the standalone Windows installer file.
2)  I can grant you short-term access to the development SSL VPN
    system, so you can download and install the code through the
    normal SSL VPN Java process.

The two SSL VPN versions will coexist fine: the SSL VPN server
determines which client version to launch.   So if you upgrade a
computer now, its user can still use the production SSL VPN service
with the old client.

Requests for access to me, please, not to the list.  Discussion
of general issues related to SSL VPN would be fine on the list,
of course.

 -- Ken Josenhans
    Network Management
    Academic Technology Services