MSUNAG Archives

Subject: Re: How to force a new IP address from DHCP?
From: Doug Nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 26 Feb 2009 18:26:31 -0500

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 05:00:52PM -0500, David McFarlane wrote:

> How do we force DHCP to assign a new *dynamic* IP address?  If
> you happen to know that the DHCP protocol forbids this (as another
> here has already posted), then please just say that and that will end
> the discussion.

Dave,

It isn't the DHCP protocol that is the issue.  It's a question of how
the DHCP server could determine that there is a squatter.  Since we
run a layer 3 (routed) network between the clients and the DHCP server,
the only useful tool available to the server is to try a ping, which it
does.  If the DHCP server gets an unexpected ICMP response, it will
temporarily skip the IP address in question, and try another.  But these
days, most systems block ICMP, so that doesn't help as much as it could.

That leads us back to a manual process, which is where contacting the
ATS Help Desk is needed.  They should ask for this, but be sure to give
them the IP address in question, along with the MAC address of the
computer which is having trouble.

Doug

--

Doug Nelson, Network Architect	 |  [log in to unmask]
Academic Technology Services	 |  Ph: (517) 353-2980