MSUNAG Archives

Subject: Re: How to force a new IP address from DHCP?
From: David McFarlane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 26 Feb 2009 17:00:52 -0500

Firm,

>An immediate but temporary fix would be to manually assign an IP address
>from your DHCP range but you run the risk of that IP being assigned to
>another machine.

Either I'm not getting your answer, or you don't get my
question.  First, I am not sure what you mean by "manually assign an
IP address from your DHCP range".  Do you mean assign a *static* IP
address from our DHCP range?  But isn't that the source of the very
problem I described?  Wouldn't that just compound the problem, as
Jeff Utter says?  And this does not address the question as I posed
it:  How do we force DHCP to assign a new *dynamic* IP address?  If
you happen to know that the DHCP protocol forbids this (as another
here has already posted), then please just say that and that will end
the discussion.

>I believe the IPs will be assigned based on the machine's MAC address
>and not by room numbers.

Once again, I must be missing something, because I do not see what
that has to do with the discussion.  Of course IPs are assigned based
on the machine's MAC address, that is exactly the problem.  We want
DHCP to give a new dynamic IP from the pool to a computer that
retains its MAC address, rather than just handing it back its latest
IP address from the MAC to dynamic IP tables.

Thanks again for trying,
-- dkm