MSUNAG Archives

Subject: Re: How to force a new IP address from DHCP?
From: David McFarlane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 26 Feb 2009 16:30:14 -0500

Firm,

>Perhaps someone from Hostmaster could offer more specific details, but
>my understanding is that those IPs will be a subset of the DHCP assigned
>ranges.
>For example each building has a dedicated DHCP range(s).  Out of that
>dedicated range, you could specify a few machines that would always get
>same IPs from campus DHCP.

OK, but I still must be missing something.  Suppose Hostmaster
assigns the range 35.10.58.2-35.10.58.100 for just one set of rooms
in our building.  What stops a rogue in our building, or even from
that very set of rooms, from grabbing, say, 35.10.58.10 for their
static IP, and thereby creating a conflict with the rightful dynamic
user of that IP?

Thanks again,
-- dkm