MSUNAG Archives

Subject: How to force a new IP address from DHCP?
From: David McFarlane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 26 Feb 2009 16:06:01 -0500

How can we force the campus DHCP server to assign a new dynamic IP
address to a machine, instead of just re-assigning it its latest IP address?

We seem to have rogue machine in the building set up to use an IP in
the dynamic range as its static IP address, so when DHCP gives that
address to our machine we get an IP conflict error.  We have tried
releasing & renewing the IP, but that just gets us back the same IP
address that has the confilict.  We also tried unregistering the
machine from the campus DHCP server, then re-registering it, with the
same result.

So we want to tell the DHCP server, "Please give us a dynamic IP that
is different from the one we already have, thanks."  How do we do that?

Thanks,
-- dkm